- Dr James is a friendly and caring Psychologist. He is passionate about helping others.
- He is a Chartered Counselling Psychologist and registered with the HCPC.
- He has many years of experience and a wealth of training in different therapeutic approaches.
- Dr James has experience of working with adolescents and adults
- He has experience of working with many different difficulties such as anxiety disorders (OCD, generalised anxiety, social anxiety, panic), depression, phobias, PTSD/trauma, eating disorders, and low self-esteem.
- Dr James is an Accredited EMDR practitioner and has completed all levels of the child and adult EMDR training.
- Dr James Banks utilises an integrative approach drawing on different theoretical models to understand human thinking, emotions, and behaviour.
- He is presently employed in the NHS in a senior position
“I am trained in a variety of assessments and therapeutic approaches to help us understand together, some of the difficulties you are experiencing and how to overcome them. We can then create a helpful plan to move towards what you value in life.”
“Together we can embark on a therapeutic journey of reflection and self-discovery. People do have struggles and it is important to recognise the many strengths that we each posses. We can then use these strengths to build resilience and coping”.
- EMDR trained in Adults and Children
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT)
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Attachment and Psychopathology
- Systemic Approaches
- Masters in Psychology with Learning Disabilities, University of Portsmouth (2018)
- Doctorate in Counselling Psychology, Institute of Psychology, University of Wolverhampton (2016)
- MSc – Health Psychology, Aston University (2019)
- BSc Psychology and Sports Science, Nottingham Trent University (2009)
- Presently employed in a Senior Role in a Child and Family Mental Health Service (CAMHS)
- Supervising other Clinicians in the NHS
- Part of Dr James NHS role is working with Eating Disorders in the NHS
- Dr James leads the DBT program in CAMHS
- Previous roles include services that offer psychometric and cognitive assessments
- Adult community mental health (working with anxiety, depression, trauma, severe and enduring issues)
- Addictions and substance misuse
Areas of Expertise
- Anxiety (panic, OCD, phobias, obsessions, fears, long term anxiety)
- Anger and frustration, feeling stuck
- Stress and burnout
- Recovery from bullying and abuse
- Depression (tearful and sad recent onset of long term)
- Mild self harming
- Uncontrolled emotions (meltdowns)
- Ages 11+ through to older adults
- Eating disorders (over eating, binge eating, overweight, restriction (Anorexia only if in monitored recovery)
- Trauma (flashbacks, nightmares)
- Childhood trauma/ abuse
- Alcohol and Class B drugs (must be 3 months clean first) (visit GP for referral to Swanswell first)
- Gambling addiction, smoking addiction
- Cost is £85 per session
- Offers Online Therapy or Telephone Therapy
- Works Mondays 10 – 5.30pm (6 sessions available)
- Specialising in adults and young people 11 years and older
- Working systemically with families and young people together
How To Book Sessions With Dr James
To book a face to face (or zoom) session with Dr James, please firstly book in for a free New Client Telephone Consult with our Triage Therapist Rachel Bull. Rachel supports new clients in choosing the most suitable therapist in our team and can answer any questions you may have. She has access to all our Therapist’s diaries and can take payment to secure the first session.
To book a New Client Telephone Consult please use our online diary HERE or telephone Daniel our Practice Manager who can book you in. Daniel is on 01684 877 115 between 9.30 – 4pm.