Maybe there are a millions of drinkers, high functioning successful people – who desire to cut down but struggle to do so. The have two different perspectives – they want to cut down and know alcohol is not helping their situation – but they are not able to stop.
- the mother who needs’a glass or two of wine before the children’s bedtime routine
- the business executive who has 3 pints, 3 times a week at dinner meetings but regrets it and wakes up with a headache for work
- the husband who is in a much better mood after his two beers every evening
- The student who cannot imaging going to a party without having some alcohol in their system
- An intelligent, hardworking teacher who signed up for dry January but only made it two weeks into the month.
Maybe a form of emotional addiction to alcohol can come at a much lower level of consumption?
Maybe we don’t need to be craving a drink in the mornings to have problematic relationship with alcohol?
Maybe a large percentage of the population struggle to control their alcohol intake and drink more than they want to?